Deadline for submissions is Friday, January 15th, 2015.
Cleveland Public Theatre is planning the second annual Station Hope, a one night event of entertainment and art will commemorate St. John’s Church and the Underground Railroad, and connect this powerful history with today.
How Station Hope Will Work
On Saturday, May 9th, attendees will explore the St. John’s campus on the corner of W 26th St and Church Ave. With 30+ performances to choose from, attendees will encounter choirs, dance, theatre, intimate solo performance, and interactive art – all happening at the same time in multiple indoor and outdoor venues.
Station Hope performances are 10 – 15 minutes in length, presented multiple times throughout the evening. Art installations will range from large to small, depending on the individual needs and space available.
How to get involved in Station Hope
Station Hope is a large and complex event, and we need a lot of support to make it a success. There are many different roles available; ranging from creative to technical assistance. Below is a list of different ways to participate in the event:
|Lead Artist:||Lead a team of collaborators (or work individually) to create an original piece of theatre, performance, choir or visual art. A Lead Artist can be an individual or an organization. Lead Artists will be selected through an application process, outlined in this document.|
|Actor:||There will be multiple opportunities in various performances. CPT will compile and share an “Interested Actor” list with all Lead Artists.|
|Stage Management & Technical Support:||We will need help setting up spaces and running those spaces during the event.|
|Volunteer:||There will be multiple volunteer needs to make this event run smoothly, such as parking assistance, ticket takers, runners, etc. CPT will forward your information to our partners that are managing the volunteers.|
Individuals interested in being involved in Station Hope through the following roles, Actor, Stage Management & Technical Support or Volunteer, should email CPT New Play Associate Caitlin Lewins (firstname.lastname@example.org) with your name, contact information, role interested in filling and resume*. (*resumes not needed for Volunteer inquiries)
Individuals and organizations interested in being a Lead Artist, should read the additional information and complete the application included in this document.
Additional Information for Lead Artists
What to Expect…
Station Hope is an ongoing experiment in neighborhood arts presentation. CPT is a learning organization and we value generosity, professionalism and a spirit of good-will. We expect our partners to enter into the spirit of this experimentation and the event as a whole.
Limited technical support is available to all lead artists. Each space will have basic lighting and sound support. Elaborate, highly-specific and proprietary technical needs can rarely be offered based and Station Hope is more about the performance and the art, than elaborate technical elements. However, don’t confuse minimalism and resourcefulness with lack of style and quality. Artists are welcome to make elaborate plans for their space, but they must be ready to implement the plans themselves with little time in the space and technical support from CPT.
There will be a Stage Manager (if necessary) available for the event, but artists should provide their own artistic collaborators and produce their individual performance or installation. CPT staff will be available for consultation and support where possible.
Who will be Selected…
Proposals should be bold, inventive and thought provoking. Proposals can range from choirs, dance, short plays, art installations, poetry, performance art, wandering characters, solo pieces, etc. In selecting works for this event we will be looking at a number of factors.
- Has the artist/organization demonstrated the ability to produce the proposed work? We aren’t looking for top notch producers, but we want to feel confident that the artist/group has a clear understanding of what it takes to pull off a show and the ability assess their own capacity.
- How is the proposed art inspired by the Underground Railroad and contemporary issues of social justice? We are open to all kinds of works, but are most interested in contemporary theatre work that is inspired by the UGRR and its current parallels.
- Can the work be fully accomplished in the time limitations and how will it fit in the spaces available?
We are looking to curate an aesthetically diverse range of work and open to educational, amateur and professional groups.
We are anticipating a special need for interactive performance and visual art, especially pieces that could engage audiences while waiting in line outside and works that could take over the brick wall facing the church.
Tours of St. John’s Church…
To make the best proposal possible for Station Hope, we strongly recommend that artists/organizations attend one of two tours of St. John’s Church and the venues described below before submitting an application.
Tour #1: Saturday, January 3rd at 11:00am
Tour #2: Saturday, January 10th at 2:00pm
The tours are open to anyone considering a proposal for Station Hope but require RSVP. Please RSVP by emailing CPT New Play Associate Caitlin Lewins at email@example.com. Be sure to include your name, contact information and preferred tour date.
|Choir||Outdoor Wandering||Parish Hall|
|Visual Art Installation||Other Venues|
||CPT is looking at a variety of other “venues” for performance including tents and adjacent buildings.|
If you would like to be considered for Station Hope, please complete the application form below.
Deadline for submissions is January 15th, 2015.
STATION HOPE APPLICATION –Lead Artist
Deadline: January 15th, 2015
Thank you for your interest in participating in Station Hope as a Lead Artist. Please complete the application, save it and attach it to an email, along with your supplemental materials (if applicable) to: New Play Associate Caitlin Lewins at firstname.lastname@example.org
|Lead Artist or Main Contact Name:|
|Artistic Discipline:||☐ Choir||☐ Dance|
|☐ Puppetry||☐ Solo performance|
|☐ Theatre||☐ Visual art installation|
|Title of Work/Show:|
|Length of piece/event:||☐ less than 5 minutes||☐ 5 – 10 minutes|
|☐ 10 – 15 minutes||☐ other|
Which venue do you think would best fit your proposal?
(see descriptions in information section)
|☐ choir||☐ outdoor wandering||☐ parish hall|
|☐ silent basement||☐ other|
|☐ visual art installation|
Tell us about your artistic work: (100 – 200 words)
- Please include information about the skill you have in developing a project to full production.
- Please attach individual resumes or organization resume
- Please include links to work samples if available
Describe the piece that you are proposing: (300 words)
- Please attach script for plays, even if in rough draft form
- Please include links to relevant work samples, if available
- Is this piece original/unique material?
- How does your piece connect to the Underground Railroad?
- Please note we are most interested in contemporary pieces inspired by the UGRR, not only historical re-enactments.
- Who will your collaborators be on this project? (individuals or organizations)
Attach additional pages if necessary
What resources do you need to create and perform this work in a professional manner?
- This is primarily volunteer activity. Groups will be offered $100 – $500 depending on a variety of factors.
- Can you complete the piece with these financial resources?
- How much financial support would you like to request from CPT?
|☐ YES||☐ NO|
- Do you need rehearsal space?
- If yes, what are your anticipated needs?
- Do you have technical needs for special sets, sound or lighting?
- If yes, what are your anticipated needs?
- Will you be able to implement these needs or are you expecting CPT to do so?
- Are there other things you may need to accomplish this work?
Supplementary Materials: Include any additional information to support your application including resume, bio, script, treatment, artistic statement, etc.
Work Sample: Include work samples such as video, photos, past scripts, etc. Please label the sample clearly so we know how to relate the sample to the proposal.
Please save the completed application and attach it to an email, along with your supplemental materials (if applicable) to: New Play Associate Caitlin Lewins at email@example.com